Top 10 reasons how you would know that I am best friends with my dad….
1. Jim Martin is on speed dial number 1 in my cell phone
2. My friends read his blog on a daily basis
3. He always knows when I am experiencing that time of the month…and will go buy me certain products in public at HEB (grocery store)
4. He reads my friends Xangas
5. He could name 10 couples who are dating
6. When you are not embarrassed to go on a date with him in public on a Friday night
7. When he and your friends IM on AOL
8. When he lets you test out your new make up on him! (8th grade)
9. When you are being dropped off at Midway Middle School and dad realizes you have on his black gold toe socks with your tennis shoes
10. When he stops his car at the McLennan County Jail on a school night to talk about your attitude ….then feels bad because he realizes it is midnight on a school night and so he then takes you to IHOP for a late night breakfast.
Girls, these are some things I think you should hear today. Don’t grow up too fast. You only have a limited time to truly be a girl. You have your whole life to be grown up….so why start so early?
Always talk to your parents. I have learned that communication grants trusts. When I was in middle school and especially high school, I told my parents everything and I mean everything….from the guy that I was currently crushing on to what dad thinks I should do about my huge zit I had on my forehead and what I should do about it. In the beginning, you might be hesitant to tell them some things…but trust me once you open up with them…when you do have to tell them something serious or bad it won’t seem near as bad. They were and are truly some of my best friends. When you talk to them about personal things, you develop a bond. It is so special and unique from all of your other friendships. It is set of friends that you know will never leave you.
Be very careful in choosing your friends. Friends influence you in so many ways. Spend time with people that will lift you up and not bring you down. Your friends will however disappoint you in time. Throughout high school I watched some of my good friends change and start to hang out with the wrong crowd. You just have to stay strong in what you believe and you will be alright.
You have all heard the quote, “What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular.” That is something you will really need to think about. Girls, stand up and be strong. Be proud of what you believe in and what you think is right. Sometimes all it takes is a voice saying "No that is wrong." Others will look at you and say "Wow; I want to be like her."